Portal Setup Methods
Setups will differ based on the needs of each school. If you don't integrate with Google Classroom or your LMS, we'll usually start with Option 1, Default Rostering via Bulk Upload.
*We do not currently offer integration with Clever.*
1. Default Rostering via Bulk Upload
- Method: School admin rosters everyone via bulk csv/xls file upload (Classes, teachers, and students). School admin also assign licenses to teachers.
- Pros: Establishes student-teacher relationship (via Classes), so teachers can assign homework and tests to students. Students can then take tests and complete homework assignments within our platform.
- Cons: There is the opportunity for errors when rostering, but the bulk of the work is maintaining rosters: adding new students, removing dropped students, and moving students between Classes. The admin on the account usually does this work, but there is a process where teachers can add students and change their Classes. This requires some more support from us on how to do this specifically.
2. Access Code Method
- Method: We issue teachers and students access codes (simple & universal, not one code per person). Each user self-registers and uses whatever username and password they wish.
- Pros: Very simple for users to do, no rostering is required, and no Classes need to be defined.
- Cons: No student-teacher relationship established (ie, no "Classes"), so certain features are not available, such as: teachers assigning homework & tests within our platform and teachers communicating with students. Item banks (tests) are still available for export, but cannot be assigned to anyone.
3. Google Classroom Integration
- This option is temporarily unavailable due to upgrades.
4. LTI Setup: Integrate with your LMS
- Method: We deliver a set of LTI credentials for you to add as a LTI external tool in your LMS. This allows students and teachers to access their account. We also hand over access codes for users to gain access to their content. Redeeming these access codes is an easy, one-time step, and the access codes are universal and simple to communicate.
- Pros: No rostering required. LTI external tool is simple to add. Easy to deploy by large districts. SSO via your LMS.
- Cons: No Classes established that link students and teachers, so teachers cannot assign homework nor assessments to students via the Portal (however, assessments are available for export). In rare cases, user role/type errors can arise.
Please see these FAQ pages for more information on LTI integration:
5. OneRoster API
Coming soon (Fall 2019). Please see this page for more information.
Before requesting OneRoster API as your setup method, please check with your SIS to confirm which authentication method(s) it accepts. We currently only accept OAuth1 authentication method. We anticipate accepting OAuth2 this winter.